Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Le défi ne coûte pas - Embracing the Challenge

Critique or Catalyst - Background for this article.
This is a message I sent to Joy Behar and Mr. Kimmel in response to their comments or comparisons of religious beliefs and gun policy to mental illness. I do not know if she will respond, but I recently shared this article when I gave a speech to high school students from the "Masah Yisraeli" program on what it is like to live with mental illness. Sharing this letter contributed to my ability to share my experience and message of hope. The audience members were emotional and inspired. Regardless of whether famous actors will respond to my story, I have a voice through this blog and my readers, and each one of you are invited to share and help highlight my story.

 I suffer from a mental illness. It is serious, it is debilitating and it is not a joke. I am smart, intelligent and intellectual. I earned an advanced degree and worked in a career for many years while struggling with the mental illness, until it overtook my life. I am not insulted or offended that Mr. Kimmel equated stupidity with mental illness, I am sad. Mental illness has been so sensationalized. People feel it gives them street cred to say they have a mental illness or a notch on their belt if they work with the mentally ill, but the reality is far from glamorous. The reason why mental health has such a stigma and prevents people from getting the help they need for healing, for hope and to be unlocked from their prison and lead meaningful lives is because of such misunderstandings that are purposefully spread. Mental illness affects people of all political, cultural, socioeconomic and religious backgrounds. I would be happy to come on your show and talk about the reality of mental illness, specifically, that it is real and truly handicapping, but it is not a death sentence. There is hope and treatment, and my mental illness is a part of who I am, but it does not define me. I dont know enough about guns to give an opinion one way or another, but there is so much pain and struggle. If it isnt a gun, then it will be another tool, if the core issues continue to be ignored. What causes me the most pain is to think that the world is not moving forward to improve empathy and support for the mentally ill and that a young woman suffering ten years from now will get just as little help as I did. I have to believe there is hope for others and that the world can improve. Years ago when we thought someone was being silly or stupid we would call them retarded. If you realize you should not call Trump or Pence retarded on account of their opinion on gun policy or religion, then why is it ok to  
call them mentally ill? In doing so you dont diminish them, you diminish me. I am not stupid, I am not an idiot and I
am not worthless


אתגר ולא עולה


המכתב הבא נכתב כתגובה לשתי סדרות טלויזיה שהופיצו לאחרונה
באמריכה. ברשת "THE VIEW" קומדית גיו בהר, זלזלה באמונתו ובדת הנוצרית של הסגן נשיא מייק פנס והיא השוותה את אמונתו בגסוס קרייסט למחלת נפש. בסדרה אחרת גימי קימל ספר כמה הוא מתעצבן ומתאחזב שהנשיא TRUMP לא רצה לשנות את חוקי החזקת נשק באמריקה ואמר: "אם TRUMP לא ישנה את החוקים, זה מראה שהוא חולה נפש."


אני סובלת ממחלת נפש. זה רציני, זה מתיש וזה לא בדיחה. אני חכמה, אינטליגנטית ואינטלקטואלית. למדתי תואר מתקדם ועבדתי בקריירה במשך שנים רבות תוך כדי התמודדות עם מחלת הנפש, עד שהיא התגברה על חיי. אני לא נעלבת או נפגעת כי מר קימל השווה טיפשות עם מחלת נפש, אני עצובה. מחלת הנפש נהייתה כל כך סנסציונית ואפנתית. אנשים מרגישים שזה נותן להם ערך לומר שיש להם מחלת נפש או מעלה את הרמה שלהם אם הם עובדים עם חולי נפש, אבל זה רחוק מהמציאות. הסיבה שיש סטיגמה למחלת הנפש, סטיגמה שמונעת אנשים מלקבל עזרה, עזרה שהם זקוקים לשיקום ולתת להם אפשרות לבנות חיים של משמעות. הסטיגמה המסוכנת הזאת היא תוצאה של חוסר ידע בדבר, אך, חוסר ידע ​​ שמפיצים מתוך תת רצון להבין. מחלת נפש משפיעה על אנשים מכל רקע פוליטי, תרבותי, חברתי-כלכלי ודתי. אני אשמח לבוא על הסדרה שלך ולדבר על המציאות של מחלת נפש, במיוחד, להסביר לקהל שלך שזה תופעה אמיתית, נכות שמגבילה, אבל זה לא גזר דין מוות. יש תקווה וטיפול, ומחלת הנפש שלי היא חלק ממני, אבל זה לא מגדיר אותי. אני לא יודעת מספיק על אקדחים לתת דעה בדרך זו או אחרת, אבל יש כל כך הרבה כאב ומאבק. אם זה לא אקדח, אז זה יהיה כלי אחר, אם ימשיכו להתעלם מלבת הבעיות (הגורמים העיקריים). מה שגורם לי הכי הרבה כאב זה הדאגה שהעולם לא מתקדם קדימה ולא משתפר בנתינת אמפתיה ותמיכה בתחום של מחלות נפש.האם בעוד עשר שנה אישה צעירה שסובלת ממצוקה נפשית תקבל אותו מידת עזרה מעטה כמו שאני קבלתית שהיה לא מספיק בשביל לעזר לי לצאת ממעצר בו הייתי? אני חייבת להאמין שיש תקווה לאחרים ושהעולם יכול להשתפר. לפני שנים, כשחשבנו שמישהו מטופש או מטומטם היינו קוראים להם מפגרים. אם אתה מבין שאתה לא צריך לקרוא לנשיא Trump או לסגן נשיא Pence בכינוי "מפגר" על דעתם על החוק בענין החזקת נשק, או לגבי הדת שלהם, אז למה אתה חושב שזה בסדר לקרוא להם "חולי נפש? כשאתה עושה כן אתה לא מזלזל בהם, אתה מקטין אותי. אני לא טיפשה, אני לא אידיוט ואני לא חסרת ערך.

No comments:

Post a Comment